Saturday, September 12, 2009

Worth A 2nd Shot

“All I needed was a sense of someplace to go.”

-Travis Bickle, from the movie, Taxi Driver.-

When the powers that be made the decision to demolish a block of successful businesses to make way for a 40-story tower, called the CenterPoint Development, not only did The Dame loose its home, but a slew of youthful hotspots were forced to relocate.
And for what? For nothing. That monstrous structure isn’t coming up anymore than I’m going skipping down Main St. whistling the theme from Green Acres (The new grass looks great, by the way).
The last thing Lexington needed was another enormous hotel soiling our skyline. And while The Dame and Mia’s quickly found new residences, Busters just opened up last week down on Manchester St. in the distillery district. Opening night was last Friday and featured three fantastic local bands. I was there for the inaugural evening and here are my impressions:

Great! Spacious and 100% handicap accessible. Even better than the original.

The only problem for me is that it is way the hell down on Manchester St. Last week when I went, I left around 2 a.m. and, because there’s no late-night transportation in Lexington, I did have to wheel-it all the way home; I live off East Main so it took me like an hour! But honestly I don’t mind trekking downtown that late at night, traffic has died down, a lot of the bars are just letting out and drunken chatter bounces off buildings and finds my audible cavities. It’s sort of serene.

I did write a poem about that first night. Check it out:


Work Perks

Once in the bathroom stall
my mind's only focus was RELIEF..
Before taking time to aim
I was pelting an empty, upside-down beer can
with my clear, fierce stream.
The tin cylinder rattled back the sound of rainfall
and clogged the hole in the bowl
causing the toilet to nearly overflow.
Later when I went in
and saw the blockage gone
I couldn’t help but wonder
how much the bar staff makes
in this place.


Well, I really must really like the new Busters because I’m headed back tonight to see The Derek Trucks Band. In fact, I’m headed there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment